LSS - LOGISTIC SUPPORT SHIP
OCCAR manages the Logistic Support Ship (LSS) Programme for Italy and France. The LSS Programme comprises the Development and Production of six ships, along with their In Service Support.
LSSs are modern interoperable double-hull support ships designed to abide by current environment regulation, to replace ageing Naval tankers fleet. The ships have been designed from the outset with enhanced “dual use” support capacities and capabilities for:
- military operations (up to large Carrier Air Groups) and
- civilian crisis response operations.
LSS is capable of supporting multiple missions, ranging from naval Joint Task Force to HQ afloat operations, providing medical support and transporting naval and aviation fuel, fresh water, ammunitions, lubricating oil, food, spare parts and 20 ft ISO containers.
LSS will offer an extraordinary capacity and a high degree of flexibility with minimal support costs.
The units are fully interoperable with NATO and EU partners and will be more versatile than the present generation of logistic ships, being also able to embark ISO 20 foot containers.
History of the LSS Programme:
- In 2015, the LSS Programme was integrated into OCCAR and the contract for Italy became effective.
- In June 2016, Brazil obtained Observer status in the Programme.
- With the amendment of the Programme Management Authorisation (PMA) in July 2017, France commenced the integration process into the LSS Programme. The related Memorandum of Understanding between France and Italy was signed in July 2018 and the resulting Implementing Arrangement in October 2018.
- France fully joined the Programme in January 2019 with the signature of the ProgD Amendment, and the French Global Contract for four Logistic Support Ships signed by OCCAR on 30 January 2019.
- The LSS PD opened offices in the OCCAR Paris site on 15th February 2019, followed on 3rd June 2019 for the satellite offices in Saint-Nazaire, nestled in the "Chantiers de l'Atlantique" shipyard of Saint-Nazaire, France.
- On 19 December 2022, the LSS PD Castellammare di Stabia satellite was inaugurated by the OCCAR Director, Mr. Matteo Bisceglia. These new premises are directly located in the Fincantieri shipyard where the 2nd Italian LSS is currently under production.
- ITS “Vulcano” was delivered to the Italian Navy on 11 March 2021. She completed her operational sea trials and is now fully qualified for Replenishment At Sea operations, RAS that was successfully executed in October 2021 with ITS Cavour.
- On 20 December 2021, the OCCAR-EA Director signed on behalf of the Italian Participant State the LSS Contract Amendment n°5 for a firm order of a second LSS unit and a third in option.
- The First of Class, LSS “Jacques Chevallier”, was launched on 29 April 2022. The delivery to the French Navy is set in 2023, upon FOAR promulgation. In parallel, the steel cutting of the bow section for the 2nd FLOTLOG type logistic support unit LSS (Logistic Support Ship) ordered by Chantiers de l’Atlantique to Fincantieri under the LSS programme, took place on 1 February 2022 at Fincantieri’s Castellammare di Stabia shipyard.
Over the horizon and beyond:
- For Italy, the 2nd LSS currently in production in Castellammare di Stabia is scheduled to be delivered by end of 2025, with her keel laying to intervene mid-2023. A third LSS for Italy is currently in option, pending firm order from OCCAR on behalf of the Participating State;
- For France, the three other LSS will be delivered until 2029;
In total, the successful LSS cooperation between two major European Navy key-players, under the umbrella of OCCAR, will lead the way to a strong fleet of 6 LSSs to be operated, 4 for France, and 2 for Italy, with a third one for Italy as an option.
The LSS Programme Division Team in full - Copyright © OCCAR
LSS Participating States